IMAGES OF THE KING CONTEST OFFICIAL RULES AND GUIDELINES
Within these rules, the Images of the King contest, sponsors by Sherry Management, LLC (the events producer and legal entity) will be referred to collectively as IOTK. Elvis Tribute Artists, participants and competitors will be referred to as ETAs. All competitors at the IOTK must abide by the following rules.
These rules are subject to change without notice.
1. Registration: All interested parties must officially register and submit the following to be deemed as an officially registered participant in the IOTK, without exception:
- A completed registration form.
- The applicable registration fee. Payment must accompany the registration form.
- A clear professional quality photograph (preferably a head and/or head and shoulders photo)
- A short 5 to 7 line bio. IOTK reserves the right to edit bios.
- Completed song selection sheets.
- A signed Contest Release form.
2. Qualification: IOTK is open to any and all ETAs, however IOTK reserve the right to preclude an ETA from participating for any reason. Past winner ARE eligible to compete following a one year of absence from the competition. We do this in order to offer others the opportunity to win both the title and the prize money.
3. Capacities: Due to time restraints the IOTK may limit the number of competitors.
4. Age Restrictions: All ages are welcome to participate in the adult divisions. Those under the age of 18 by the start of the event will need a parent’s signature. When offered, entrants in the Youth category must be no older than 12 years old at start of the event.
5. Expenses: IOTK is not responsible for any expenses for participants at any time during the festival, including, but not limited to travel, meals or accommodations unless agreed upon under contract.
6. Licensing, Copyrights and Trademarks: Participants will not violate the rights of Elvis Presley Enterprises, Inc. through copyright or trademark infringement and in any way disparage or abuse the likeness or reputation of Elvis Presley.
7. Behavior: Profanity, vulgarity or abusive behavior of any kind, to festival management, staff or volunteers, whether on stage or in public will not be tolerated. Violations will result in disqualification and removal without recourse.
8. Right To Usage: All participants grant IOTK the right to use their name, image, likeness, biography, photographs, or audio/visual footage of their participation without the payment of any compensation, in connection with advertising, promotion or marketing of the IOTK without limitation or exception, in perpetuity.
9. Personal Belongings: Participants are responsible for their own personal property and belongings while attending the Festival. Although we provide security measures, the IOTK accepts no liability for lost or stolen property.
10. Transportation: Participants are solely responsible for their own transportation to and from the IOTK daily while attending, unless otherwise agreed upon by contract.
11. Access: Only ETAs participating in the contest round are permitted backstage. Companions, relatives, managers, assistants etc. are not allowed. One exception: One parent of a child in the Youth category may accompany him or her.
1. Judging Criteria: This competition will be based on three main categories and thirteen subcategories.
A. Appearance: 20%
- Costume Fit, Accessories, Authenticity (for song era) 5 pts.
- Facial Characteristics, Body Proportion, Hairstyle 5 pts.
- Looks like Elvis 10 pts.
B. Performance: 40%
- Movements and Choreography 5 pts.
- Gestures and Mannerisms 5 pts.
- Audience Interaction and Reaction 5 pts.
- Charisma, Showmanship & Delivery 10 pts.
- Performs like Elvis 15 pts.
C. Vocals: 40%
- On Key 5 pts.
- Memorization of Songs 5 pts.
- Rhythm & Timing 5 pts.
- Phrasing, Timbre & Range 10 pts.
- Sounds like Elvis 15 pts.
2. During Preliminary and Semi-Final Rounds (if any) we will utilize all the judges score sheets. During the Finals, if we have 8 judges or more we will discard the high and the low scores. If less than 8 judges we will utilize all the score sheets.
3. Preliminary Round: There are two preliminary rounds. All competitors are required to compete in both rounds unless they have pre-qualified for the semi-final round (if any) through participation in an off-site preliminary.
4. Semi-Final Round: The number of ETAs that qualify for the semi-final round (if any) will be determined based on the time available and the number of pre-qualified semi-finalists. The number will be posted prior to the start of the festival and is likely already posted on the For Tribute Artists page of this website. Scores for the semi-final round will be independent and not cumulative of the preliminary round.
5. Finals: The number of ETAs that qualify for the final round will be determined based on the time available and the number of finalists. The number will be posted prior to the start of the festival and is likely already posted on the For Tribute Artists page of this website. Scores for the final round will be independent and not cumulative of the preliminary and/or semi-final round.
1. Only songs that were performed or recorded by Elvis are permitted as competitor song choices during all rounds of the competition, from 1954 until August 16, 1977. No computer enhanced versions (such as homemade medleys) or “vocal eliminator” tracks can be used.
2. Competitors must come prepared with their own CD’s for their ‘Track’ performances. Please have them appropriately labeled with your name and track selection if possible.
3. If, and when performing with the band, please choose only songs on the band’s list. To keep the competition fair, the band will only perform your chosen songs in the same key Elvis originally performed it in. No key changes will be allowed. When using tracks, you may perform any song Elvis ever recorded.
4. Medley’s longer than 4 minutes are not allowed.
5. Lead-in instrumentals such as (2001 A Space Odyssey) are not allowed.
KNOW YOUR MATERIAL:
1. No karaoke, TV monitors or lyric sheets will be allowed.
2. Your costume should represent your song selection era for each day. (Example: Do not sing “Suspicious Minds” in a sport jacket or leather.
3. For the purpose of judging and choosing your material, the Early Years (Sport Jacket, Gold Lame’, Speedway Jackets, Black Leather, etc) will be considered from 1954 to Dec. 31, 1968. The “Jumpsuit Years” will be considered as Jan. 1, 1969 through Aug. 16, 1977.
1. The only ‘Prop’ allowed is a guitar. (Using keyboard, stools, personal microphones or any instrument etc. is not allowed.)
2. The only ‘Give-A-Way’ is scarves. (Teddy bears, Hawaiian Leis, flowers, any part of your costume such as belt, cape etc is not allowed.) You may only give scarves in one of your songs each day. You can only give scarves when the music is actually playing. (Not between songs or after your set.)
3. Our scarf assistant will be available for you to hand you scarves, present you with a guitar or retrieve it. Please bring your own scarves. They will not be supplied to you.
4. You must stay on the stage at all times. Jumping off the stage will be cause for disqualification. Sitting on the edge of the stage may be allowed as long as your feet don’t touch the floor. Please verify permission from the Stage Manager.
5. The Stage Manager will ask you when to cue the music and where you would like the mic. You will not be rushed, however we ask that your salutation to the audience and exit from the stage be timely.
6. There will be no rehearsal time available for competitors during any round of the competition.
7. Costume change on stage is not permitted.
8. Water will be supplied.
9. No alcoholic beverages will be allowed backstage.
These rules and regulations are mandatory. We have these rules in place for many reasons. The main reason is to produce a fair competition for everyone with no surprises along the way. Others are in place simply to stay on schedule. With an event this size, logistics can be overwhelming, yet we want everyone, fans and Tribute Artists alike to have a great time and enjoy the amazing legacy that Elvis left us all…..his music.
An official ‘Confirmation Package’ will be sent to you with much more information about the festival and your role in it. In this package you will find the forms you will need to fill out as well as your song selection sheets, the band’s list and a more exact schedule of events.
In the meantime please fill out your registration forms, send them in at your earliest convenience and if you have any questions or concerns, please email me at Terry@ElvisFestival.com or phone me anytime at 518-796-4986.
Terry Collins, Talent Director
Images of the King